Proudly supported by :: ACT Government :: Australian Native Plants Society (ANPS) Canberra Region NatureMapr NatureMapr

Bee fly (Bombyliidae)Sisyromyia sp. (genus)

A bee fly at Gibraltar Pines

2 images

Sisyromyia sp. (genus) at Gibraltar Pines - 7 Nov 2019
Sisyromyia sp. (genus) at Gibraltar Pines - 7 Nov 2019

Identification history

Bee fly (Bombyliidae) Sisyromyia sp. (genus) 8 Nov 2019 MichaelMulvaney
Bee fly (Bombyliidae) Sisyromyia sp. (genus) 7 Nov 2019 jgl
Bee fly (Bombyliidae) Bombyliidae sp. (family) 7 Nov 2019 DPRees125

5 comments

DPRees125 wrote:
   7 Nov 2019
I think we can go further, had a look at what is on ALA and it seems to me that a good match for this specimen is a member of the genus Sisyromyia
jgl wrote:
   7 Nov 2019
I've asked Xuankun Li, one of the world experts on this group, and Sisyromyia happens to be correct (he thinks Sisyromyia thomsoni based on the location). However, I'd be disinclined to confirm this ID based on ALA alone as there's a lot of unreliable image ID's on there...

For example, search for 'Bombyliinae' on ALA. Look under the 'Classification' tab - you'll see the genus 'Bombylius Linnaeus, 1758'. Click on this genus and open the gallery - you'll see an image under 'Types', and 6 images under 'Images', the first (from the left) of which shows a Formosia (Euamphibolia) nr. speciosa (actually in family Tachinidae). The next 3 images show 3 different bombyliids, none of which are Bombylius (present day definition); in fact Bombylius is a European and North American genus which is not known to be present in Australia. The last two images were taken in Canada and I've no idea if they're correctly ID'd.

I'm just making a point that you have to be very careful when making genus ID's based on browsing ALA - sometimes its extremely helpful and can send you in the right direction (to find a more reliable source), but you should always be wary of non-type image ID's which have been aggregated from the Flickr (or similar sites) of private individuals.

Cheers
DPRees125 wrote:
   7 Nov 2019
So you have asked an authority on these flies and he thinks that is a reasonable answer and then you say that ALA is unreliable (which it may well be) and somehow the view of that person, who may have extra info and experience available to them, is questionable, interesting logic....
jgl wrote:
   7 Nov 2019
My apologies, that was poorly phrased, what I meant is:

- I've asked Xuankun Li, one of the world experts on this group, what he thinks this specimen is.

- He asked the location of the sighting, and when I told him ACT, he said Sisyromyia thomsoni.

- Now, in the event that i had not been able to get in contact with Dr Li and ask his opinion, then I wouldn't have been confident enough to confirm that this observation was Sisyromyia, based solely on the images shown on the 'Sisyromyia' ALA galley, especially given that there are no 'Type' images available there.

- World experts can be hard to pin down every time something like this comes up, and I'm not saying we need to consult one each time, but I simply wanted to draw attention to the fact that ALA can be unreliable, and is risky to use as a sole authority, especially without 'Type' images.

Does this make more sense?
DPRees125 wrote:
   7 Nov 2019
Yes, I am more than aware of the lack of experts in this space and that ALA contains questionable material. One does wonder what its host (CSIRO) does about cleaning it up? Thank you for your trouble to date.

Please Login or Register to comment.

Nearby Sightings

Page 1 of 1 pages - image sightings only 3 0 3

Synthemis eustalacta (Swamp Tigertail) at Gibraltar Pines - 24 Feb 2019 Synthemis eustalacta (Swamp Tigertail) at Gibraltar Pines - 9 Jan 2019 Heteronympha cordace (Bright-eyed Brown) at Gibraltar Pines - 9 Jan 2019
Synthemis eustalacta (Swamp Tigertail) at Gibraltar Pines - 24 Feb 2019
Synthemis eustalacta (Swamp Tigertail) at Gibraltar Pines - 9 Jan 2019
Heteronympha cordace (Bright-eyed Brown) at Gibraltar Pines - 9 Jan 2019

Page 1 

Location

Location information

Species information

  • Not Sensitive
  • Local Native
  • Non-Invasive

Sighting information

  • 1 - 3 Abundance
  • 7 Nov 2019 12:53 PM Recorded on
  • DPRees125 Recorded by
  • Website Reported via
Atlas of Life in the Coastal Wilderness Frogwatch ACT and Region Budawang Coast Nature Map Southern Highlands Nature Map Noosa Shire Nature Map Albury Wodonga Nature Map
1194742 sightings of 5534 species in 1193 locations from 2722 members
Powered by NatureMapr |  Canberra Nature Map operates under Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia |  Privacy